Thursday 17 March 2016

Evaluation Question 3



Evaluation Question 3: How did your production skills develop throughout this project?

Transcript:

Mariam - Red // Jack - Blue


We used a Canon D600 and a Canon 70D to film our movie, comparing the footage from the DSLR Camera to the GoPro Hero4 it is unparalleled. The quality of the footage is very different as the DSLR had the better image quality but the GoPro had an almost fish eye approach as the footage is circled.

For the behind-the-scenes footage and production stills, a Canon 700D was used so as to avoid overloading the memory of the filming DSLRs. We had separate memory cards for BTS and actual filming footage; a 64 GB memory card was used for the filming, and an 8GB SD card was used for BTS footage and production photographs. YouTube tutorials were immensely helpful in understanding the mechanisms of the GoPro Hero 4 as we were all unfamiliar with using it prior to some online research.

I had no previous experience of working with film equipment prior to this project; so handling equipment was rather difficult for me and an unfamiliar situation. Thanks to this project however, my skills in the following area have significantly improved: editing, analysing, handling equipment, filming, etc.

  I now have a greater awareness of a DSLR's mechanisms as well as a GoPro's, not to mention I learned how to use camera movements and shots to convey to the general viewer a certain mood or atmosphere, for example over-the-shoulder shots in a conversation-type scene or tracking to highlight a character's importance or even the importance of the destination the character that we are following is going to. I learned how to pace cuts and editing techniques such as elliptical editing to skip unnecessary time and shot-reverse-shot in accordance to the film genre, or the scene. I developed a greater appreciation for sound; diegetic, non-diegetic, dialogue, voice-over or ambient and how it enhances the atmosphere in a film, a well-known example being the chilling score for the shower scene in Psycho. I also got the chance to try my own hand at making my own (DIY) props for a film's mise-en-scene to establish the genre.

After we filmed our footage which took 4-5 days as we underestimated the filming length. Adobe Premiere was very good as it allowed my group to edit quickly and tint our overall film to make the desert look better and the sky look a vibrant blue. Nikita then downloaded free SFX effects such as muzzle flash and explosion effects. After adding in the SFX effects we focused on our soundtrack. Our soundtrack was a remake of the Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack.

We also used google docs and blogger to upload our progress and planning for our first and final draft of our movie.
We used a variety of different editing software’s to edit and add the effects into our movie. I used Adobe Premier to put the sequence together but I used Photoshop to design our group’s logo and title designs.

Above is a Prezi I made of the previous transcript. I made separate slides for Jack and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment